1946. Born in Summit, NJ. Lives and works in Estancia, NM (Albuquerque Metro)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE (chronological)
1968. B.A., Psychology, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
1969 - 72. Traveled extensively throughout Europe, while serving as a captain and stationed at the HQ, US Army, Europe, Heidelberg, Germany.
1975. B. Architecture, Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Chicago, IL.
1976 - 2006. Chicago, IL. He was in the commercial real estate business for 30 years while collecting art of emerging artists and regularly attending exhibitions and lectures at various institutions including The Art Institute of Chicago, The Museum of Contemporary Art, The Smart Museum and the Rennaissance Society at the University of Chicago, as well as many national institutions. Held membership at the Chinati Foundation, Marfa, TX and DIA Foundation, NY.
2006. Completed the Metal Sculpture Curriculum at the Evanston Art Center, Evanston, IL.
2007 Currently lives and works in a contemporary adobe on an 80-acre pinon-juniper savanah site in the foothills of the Manzano Mountains, 32 miles southeast of Albuquerque, New Mexico.
EXHIBITIONS AND PUBLIC ART COMPETITIONS (reverse chronological)
•2020 - 21 Tijeras, NM Village Hall, NM Veterans Art - Group Show. Corona Chimes 2020 + 4 other sculptures
•2020 - 21 Artichoke Cafe, ABQ, NM. Perforated Triangles, Painted-Over Paintings, Embellished (found) Objects.
•2020 MATRIX Fine Art, ABQ, Oxidized Outdoor Steel Sculpture
•2020 - 21 CHUMANI Gallery, Madrid, NM, Oxidized Outdoor Steel Sculpture
•2020 - 21 Algodones Gallery, Algodones, NM, Triangular Cylinders
•2020 First Unitarian Church, ABQ, NM Liturgical Art - Group Show in renovated Mid-Century Architecture.
•2020 April Price Projects Gallery / Design Studio NM, Perforated Triangles Group Show
• 2019 New Mexico Veterans Art - Group Show at NM EXPO Fairgrounds Fine Arts Gallery
• 2019 Albuquerque ARTS Showcase, Civic Plaza Convention Center, 8/19
• 2019 Group Show (Triangular Cylinders) Algodones Gallery, Algodones, NM (only15 minutes north of the Big I)
• 2019 April Price Projects Gallery, Downtown ABQ Hyatt Regency, Ongoing.
• 2019 CHUMANI GALLERY, Madrid, NM. abstract outdoor oxidized steel sculpture. Ongoing.
• 2019 MATRIX Fine Art, Solo Exhibition - New Work + Retrospective, Nob Hill, Albuquerque, NM 4/19.
• 2018 New Mexico Veterans Art Group Show at NM EXPO Fine Arts Gallery, 1st Prize Sculpture
• 2018 Group Show (Triangular Cylinders) Algodones Gallery, Algodones
• 2018 Group Show (Strip Paintings + Perforated Triangles), KD Neeley Gallery, Albuquerque< NM
• 2018 Gallery ABQ, Solo Show - Crumpled Aluminum, New Paintings and Photographs.
• 2017 New Work & Component Art Systems, Solo Booth, ART Santa Fe, Santa Fe. NM.
• 2017 Two Paintings (Lithe & Swell 4), Encantado, Rio Grande Art Association, Albuquerque, NM
• 2017 Black & White Show, (3 photographs from Torso Series), New Mexico Art League, Albuquerque, NM
• 2017 Retrospective with New Work, FREESTYLE GALLERY, ABQ.
• 2017 Oxidized Steel Sculpture, CHUMANI GALLERY, Madrid, NM
• 2016 Finalist, New Mexico Large Purchase Competition (Organica Sun Pillar or Organica Burst).
• 2016 Word & Image - New Mexico Art League, ABQ, Group Competition Exhibit (two paintings).
• 2016 Sculpture, South Broadway Cultural Center, ABQ, NM.
• 2016 Retrospective, ART Santa Fe., Santa Fe, NM.
• 2016 Embellished (found Objects. Right Brain Gallery, ABQ, NM
• 2015 ART Santa Fe International Contemporary Art Fair, Santa Fe, NM. Hook Shafts and Triangular Cylinders
• 2015 Organica - Burst and Pinwheel Sculpture Proposal. ABQ Convention Center Civic Plaza Overlook at 3rd St., Unsolicited
• 2015 THE BOMB Group Show - "On the Map, ABQ Art Extravaganza, South Broadway Cultural Center, ABQ.
• 2015 Perforated Polygons. Right Brain Gallery. Albuquerque.
• 2014 Organica Sun Pillar - Iconic Sculpture for Civic Plaza, Albuquerque, NM. Entrant.
• 2104 CNM Sculpture Competition, Albuquerque, NM. Entrant.
• 2014 Perforated Triangles. ART Santa Fe - International Contemporary Art Fair, Santa Fe, NM
• 2014 Perforated Triangles + indoor sculpture. Right Brain Gallery, Albuquerque, NM
• 2014 Outdoor oxidized sculpture. Chumani Gallery, Madrid, NM
• 2013 The Perforated Triangles. Right Brain Gallery, Albuquerque.
• 2013 New Sculpture. Chumani Gallery, Madrid, NM. Arc series, CHARIOTS, Avianic Structural Steel and others.
• 2013 BETWEEN WORLDS, S. Broadway Cultural Center, Albuquerque, NM. Three person show with Christian Gallegos and Paul Jenks. Included twelve sculptures, paintings and photographs by Laird. Curated by Augustine Romero.
• 2012 CHARIOTS Show. Chumani Gallery, Madrid, NM.
• 2012 ABSTRACT New Mexico 2012 Competition. Matrix Fine Art, Albuquerque. 28 works were chosen from 161 entries in all media by Andrew Connors, Curator of Art, The Albuquerque Museum of Art.
• 2012 COLLECT 10 Group Show. Center for Contemporary Art, Santa Fe.
• 2012 TIME PIECES: Orphan Rt. 66 Signs Group Show, 516 Arts, Albuquerque.
• 2012 Public Sculpture Competitions. Fire Stations #2 and #7. City of Albuquerque. Entrant.
• 2012 Public Sculpture Competiton. Hahn Arroyo Water Quality Structure, City of Albuquerque. Entrant.
• 2012 Perforated and Avianic Steel Sculpture. Chumani Gallery, Madird, NM
• 2011 Public Sculpture Competition. UNM - West Campus, Rio Rancho, NM. Finalist.
• 2011 Public Sculpture Competitioin. UNM, Los Alamos. Entrant.
• 2011 Group Photography Show, 105 Art Gallery, Albuquerque. Twelve photographs and corresponding sculptures.
• 2011 Avianic Structural Steel Series. Chumani Gallery, Madrid, NM. Featured ten oxidized steel sculptures.
• 2011 COLLECT 10 Group Show. Center for Contemporary Arts, Santa Fe.
• 2010 PHOTO New Mexico 2010. Matrix Fine Art, Albuquerque. Received the 1st Place Juror's Award from the sole juror, Andrew Conners, Curator of Art, The Albuquerque Museum of Art. There were 224 entries from 74 photographers.
• 2008 Colemam Gallery Contemporary Art, Albuquerque. Five sculptures and corresponding photographs included.
• 2007 Cibolo Skate Park Sculpture Competition. City of Albuquerque. Entrant.
• 2006 Cafe Selmarie, Chicago, IL. First solo retrospective show of over 40 photographs and 10 small sculptures.